Search Penny Hill Press

Monday, January 14, 2013

Retirement and Survivor Annuities for Former Spouses of Federal Employees

Katelin P. Isaacs
Analyst in Income Security

A former spouse of a federal employee may be entitled to a share of the employee’s retirement annuity under the Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) or the Federal Employees’ Retirement System (FERS) if this has been authorized by a state court decree of divorce, annulment, or legal separation. An employee also may voluntarily elect a survivor annuity for a former spouse. A state court can award a former spouse a share of the employee’s retirement annuity, a survivor annuity, or both. A court also can award a former spouse of a federal employee a portion of the employee’s Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) account balance as part of a divorce settlement.

Date of Report: December 20, 2012
Number of Pages: 9
Order Number: RS22856
Price: $19.95

To Order:

RS22856.pdf  to use the SECURE SHOPPING CART


Phone 301-253-0881

For email and phone orders, provide a Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover card number, expiration date, and name on the card. Indicate whether you want e-mail or postal delivery. Phone orders are preferred and receive priority processing.