To: House Committee on Energy and Commerce
Attention: Samuel J. Spector
From: Clinton T. Brass
Analyst in Government Organization and Management
This memorandum provides analysis of the Barack Obama Administration's “line-by- Line” budget review and the relationship of the review to several topics. Specifically is offers an analysis of what the line-by-line review appears to entail. It also provides analysis of how the review may relate to
- Administration proposals for “terminations, reductions, and savings”;
- the processes and institutions that are involved in formulating the President's annual budget request; and
- practices by past Administrations.
- bring additional transparency to presidential budget proposals, including the outcomes of such proposals after Congress considers them; and
- enhanced credibility to representations that an Administration may make in these requests regarding how well an agency or program has performed-for example, assurance that the representation that an Administration makes portrays performance information fairly, in the context of an agency's or program's statutory mission.
Date of Report: September 28, 2011
Number of Pages: 6
Order Number: M-092811
Follow us on TWITTER at http://www.twitter.com/alertsPHP or #CRSreports
Document available via e-mail as a pdf file or in paper form.
To order, e-mail Penny Hill Press or call us at 301-253-0881. Provide a Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover card number, expiration date, and name on the card. Indicate whether you want e-mail or postal delivery. Phone orders are preferred and receive priority processing.